Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tell me about a time you ate Salmon ~ Another writing excercise~


Michelle is so good at keeping me fed and happy with healthy food. Cooking is a passion for her, she loves coming up with new things and knowing just what the boys and I will like or not like before we've even had a bite of a new food.
I remember we went to see Cirque du soleil for our anniversary after Jaxon was born. He was about twelve weeks old and I was not even close to the point of being ready to leave him with a sitter. She'd actually talked about buying the tickets when I was still pregnant with him and I'd said absolutely not. She talked me into it, she said we'd be dying for a break from our new baby by the time the actual concert rolled around. She was wrong. Leaving him and the way I'd feel about it was all I thought about for a week before the day finally came. We left him with Michelle's mother. I was still nursing, but we'd begun supplementing with formula so we knew he would be fine in someone else's care.
I remember I didn't want to offend Michelle's mom and she just didn't have any comprehension of how hard it would be for me to leave my baby for a few hours. I kissed him several times, breathing in his scent, savoring it, and then started crying as soon as I was in the car. I cried half the way to the Merrymoor State Park (where the concert was being held) what if we got into an accident and I never saw him again, what if Michelle's mom put him to bed with a blanket and he suffocated? All kinds of irrational thoughts raced through my head and I let them spin until I was spent and numb with exhaustion. I grabbed Michelle's hand and I squeezed. I would try to have a good time.
Michelle had packed us a picnic basket full of different kinds of crackers, cream cheese, apples, smoked salmon and a bottle of wine. She's packed this basket with the same foods on several little romantic outings and it always feels special. It's our tool for reconnection. We took an hour at a picnic table with our meal, basking in each other's company, talking about our new little baby and sipping wine. She said she thought I was a good mother. I remember being so impressed that she thought that. It was still so hard to believe I really was a mother. I really had a baby of my own at home, a family. I told her she was a good mother too and in that moment leaving the baby for the evening seemed to have been just what we needed.
Now I want some smoked salmon. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment