Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tell me everything you know about coffee~~


This is my response to the exercise.
I miss the way I used to drink coffee with good conversation and a cloud of cigarette smoke. My earliest memory of coffee is paired with the memories of bleach blonde hair, black roots and the parched, cracked heels of my grandmother. I remember she'd eat a danish in the morning and sip on sandy colored cups of coffee for the rest of the day. Her coffee was so sweet it was a dessert in it's self. When I was little she'd sometimes let me drink some from her cup. She never once spouted out the blurb about how it would stunt my growth.
When I was fourteen I saw her again after not being allowed to see her for nine years. One of the first things we did was light up cigarettes and she made me a warm cup of coffee just like the ones I'd remembered her drinking. We stayed up late catching up on the past. The coffee swirling in our mouths somehow made our memories so much sweeter than the truth.
I drink over a half a pot of coffee a day now. I like it rich and bold, a strong french roast feeding fuel to my tired veins. I don't put any dessert creams or sugar in it, just a tablespoon of half and half. I'd love to say I don't need the false syrupy, sweetness like I did in the days I drank coffee with Grandma, but the truth is I don't want to get fat again. I'd rather eat than drink my calories.
Coffee's just not the same anymore. Without the conversation and the smooth cigarette resting between my fingers, coffee is just a beverage, no longer a link to a place that almost felt like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment